THE STAR FACTORY PROPRIETARY LIMITED
(“The Star Factory”)
LEARNER PRIVACY NOTICE
1. PURPOSE OF THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
This privacy notice explains how we collect, use, and process your personal information through your use of The Star Factory (Pty) Ltd’s website, including any information you may provide through this website when you login or are registered with us for training, internships and/or learnerships. We will ensure that the personal information we collect from yourself is protected and processed carefully and responsibly.
It is important that you read this privacy notice together with any other privacy notice we may provide on specific occasions when we are collecting or processing personal information about you, so that you are fully aware of how and why we are using your information. This privacy notice supplements other notices and privacy policies and is not intended to override them.
2. WHO IT APPLIES TO
This notice applies to any person (natural or juristic), whose information is either loaded on our website upon registration as an employee or requiring a learnship.
We may need to update this privacy notice periodically and encourage you to check our privacy notice regularly so that you remain up to date on how we process and protect your personal information.
If you have any questions about this notice, please email us at [email protected]
3. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND GENERATE
Personal information means any information about a natural from which that person can be identified. It does not include information where the identity has been removed (anonymous information).
We collect the personal information we require, to register you as a leaner and to communicate with you.
- The following is the information we collect:
- Identity Number;
- Telephone Number (Landline and mobile);
- E-Mail Address;
- Physical Address;
- Employment History; or
- Location Information Guardian information – name, surname, identity number, telephone number (landline and cellphone) physical and postal address.
- We generate information about you in the form of:
- Learners profiles; or
- Registration for participants in learnerships
As a general rule, we do not collect any special categories of personal information about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health, and genetic and biometric information).
In light of the above, since the information collected is for training, learnership and development purposes, we will require certain personal information falling within the above special category, therefore we will acquire your consent before processing this information.
4. WHEN AND WHY WE COLLECT AND PROCESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We process your personal information to meet our contractual obligations with you, as well as collect and use your personal information for the following purposes:
- The creation of your learner profile;
- Your registeration for training, learnerships and internships;
- Processing your COVID 19 related health information through the daily health check;
- Processing your courses and training history;
- To reply to you when you contact us for support; or
- To investigate and resolve your query, complaint or request.
- In some instances, we process your personal information because it is in our or your legitimate interest to do so. For example:
- We may monitor our premises with CCTV cameras to ensure your and our safety; or
- We may record your details (name/company name, identity number, contact number and vehicle registration number) upon the entrance to any of our premised to ensure your safety and our safety. pl
- We are legally required to collect and process certain information, including:
- to report to the related Culture, Art, Tourism, Hospitality and Sport Sector Education and Training Authority (“CATHSSETA”); or
- to report to the related Sector Education and Training Authority (“SETA”).
- to report to other governmental agencies, for example the South African Revenue Service.
When you register an account with The Star Factory you can choose if you want to receive promotional material from us. We may send you information about our services, products and promotional activities via the communication channels you selected.
5. CHILDREN’S INFORMATION
All information about minors will require parents and and/or a legal guardian’s consent for processing.
This applies to anyone under the age of 18 years.
We do not knowingly collect the personal information of persons under the age of 18 years.
6. WE ONLY SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH OTHERS WE TRUST
We only use service providers we trust and who have agreed to keep your personal information secure and confidential and to only use it for the purposes for which we shared it with them.
We use/may use service providers to assist with the following:
- communication and interaction with you;
- verification of your identity;
- verification of your address;
- registering you with SETA and/or CATHSSETA for learnerships ;
- monitor your use of our training platform;
- monitoring the effectiveness of our services to you;
- storing of your information for retention of record as governed by respective legislation; or
- processing of our accounting information.
Some of the service providers that we use may be located in other countries. These countries may not have the same levels of protection of personal information as South Africa, in which case the foreign service providers must undertake to protect the personal information of our learners to the same level that we do.
We provide for appropriate safeguards by means of contracts between us and our foreign service providers. By using our website, you agree to not being notified of details regarding the level of protection afforded to your information in the relevant country/countries.
We may be required to share your personal information with external auditors, internal auditors, professional accountants, professional advisors, South African Revenue Services, other regulatory and law enforcement bodies.
7. REASONABLE STEPS TAKEN TO SAFEGUARD YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information against the following:
- unauthorised access;
- disclosure; or
- other misuse.
These steps include password protection for electronic files, securing paper files and physical access restrictions. We will continuously review our security controls and processes to ensure that security risks are identified and addressed.
If something should happen, we will take the necessary steps to minimise the threat to your privacy and we will let you know if your personal information has been compromised. We will also let you know how you can help minimise the impact of a breach.
8. WE DO NOT KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION LONGER THAN WE NEED TO
We will not keep your personal information longer than we need to unless we are legally required to do so. We take legal requirements, contractual obligations and the expectations and requirements of our learners into account when we determine how long we should retain information. When we no longer need your personal information we will securely delete or destroy it in line with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA) requirements.
9. CHANGES TO THE PRIVACY NOTICE AND YOUR DUTY TO INFORM US OF CHANGES
We keep our privacy notice under regular review, and therefore encourage you to check our privacy notice regularly so that you remain up to date on how we process and protect your personal information.
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal information changes during your relationship with us.
10. IF YOU FAIL TO PROVIDE PERSONAL INFORMATION
Where we need to collect personal information by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you, and you fail to provide that information when requested, we may not be able to process your credit application.. In this case, we may not provide a product or service you may require from us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
- ACCESS AND CORRECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have the right to:
- be notified that your personal information is being collected;
- be notified of security compromises where reasonable grounds exist for us to believe that your personal information has been accessed or acquired by an unauthorised person;
- ask us what we know about you and request access to such information; ask what personal information was sent to our service providersor any other third party;
- ask us to update, corrector delete any out-of-date or incorrect personal information we hold about you;where it is inaccurate, irrelevant, excessive, out of date, incomplete, misleading or obtained unlawfully;
- request us to delete or remove your personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process, although this will be subject to The Star Factory requiring the information for legal and legitimate reasons;
- request restrictions on processing of your personal information;
- withdraw your consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal information;
- submit a complaint to the Information Regulator. You have the right to submit a complaint to the Information Regulator regarding an alleged interference with the protection of your personal information. However, please note that until POPIA is in force, the Information Regulator does not have the power to enforce your protection under POPIA;
- unsubscribe from any direct marketing communications we may send you; or
- object to the processing of your personal information.
You can request access to the personal information we hold about you or correct your personal information. It can take us up to 21 days to respond to your request due to procedures that we are required to follow. In certain cases, we may require proof of your identity and sometimes changes to your personal information may be subject to additional requirements such as valid proof of residence.
Please see below our contact details for our information officers:
||Mr Suren Rampersadh
||Mrs Chanelle Beukes
Mr Rowan Cross
Mr Adheesh Maharaj
||Deputy Information Officers
||PO Box 74234, Rochdale Park, 4034
||6 Tetford Circle, Umhlanga, Durban, 4320
11. DOCUMENT METADATA
|Document approval by:
|Document approval date:
||01 July 2021
||1 July 2021
|Next review date: